Flu viruses are unpredictable and can change over time, so a past flu vaccine may not protect you this year. We recommend that everyone 6 months and older get a flu vaccine each year. Protection from vaccine can take up to two weeks to develop but lasts through the season, so we recommend getting flu vaccine early, before flu disease is in the community.
Where to Get Vaccinated
The 2018-19 flu season vaccine will be available throughout Contra Costa County beginning in the Fall of 2018. Ongoing Public Health Immunization Clinics will begin offering flu vaccine in October.
To get a flu vaccine:
For the General Public:
- Check with your regular health care provider
- Ongoing Public Health Immunization Clinics
- Community clinics will also offer flu vaccine - call the clinic for details.
- Pharmacies and grocery stores will have flu vaccine available
- flushot.healthmap.org (check selected clinic for details)
For community members with the Contra Costa Health Plan (CCHP):
- Health Centers will offer walk-in flu clinics for Health Plan members | Spanish beginning in October, please bring your CCHP member card.
- Health Plan members who cannot come to a walk-in clinic can see their doctor or call 1-800-495-8885 for a Treatment Nurse appointment.
For community members with the Contra Costa Health Plan (CCHP) or belong to the Community Provider Network (CPN):
- CCHP and CPN members 10 years and older can get flu vaccine from RiteAid and Walgreens beginning September 1st, please bring your CCHP member card.
For community members with Kaiser Permanente health insurance:
- Kaiser members can call the Kaiser Flu Hotline: 1-800-573-5811 (1-800-KP-FLU-11).