Every person aged 6 months and older needs the flu vaccine, every year. This is especially true this year, with COVID-19 also circulating widely in Contra Costa.
Flu viruses are unpredictable and can change over time, so a past flu vaccine may not protect you this year. We recommend that everyone 6 months and older get a flu vaccine each year. Protection from vaccine can take up to two weeks to develop but lasts through the season, so we recommend getting flu vaccine early, before flu disease is in the community.
Where to Get Vaccinated
The 2020-21 flu season vaccine will be available throughout Contra Costa County beginning in the Fall of 2020. Ongoing Public Health Immunization Clinics will begin offering flu vaccine in October.
To get a flu vaccine:
For the General Public:
- Check with your regular health care provider
- Free one-day flu clinic on Nov. 18 on Bethel Island | Spanish
- Ongoing Public Health Immunization Clinics
- Community clinics will also offer flu vaccine - call the clinic for details.
- Pharmacies and grocery stores will have flu vaccine available
- You can also get free flu shots at select COVID testing sites run by the County
- VaccineFinder.Org (check selected clinic for details)
For community members with the Contra Costa Health Plan (CCHP):
- Health Centers will offer walk-in flu clinics for Health Plan members beginning in October, please bring your CCHP member card.
- Health Plan members who cannot come to a walk-in clinic can see their doctor or call 1-800-495-8885 for a Treatment Nurse appointment.
For community members with the Contra Costa Health Plan (CCHP) or belong to the Community Provider Network (CPN):
- CCHP and CPN members can get flu vaccine from Rite Aid if 3 years old & up or Walgreens if 4 years old & up. Please bring your CCHP member card.
- CCHP members of all ages can go to their doctor to get the flu vaccine. (The flu vaccine is recommended for everyone 6 months of age and older.)
For community members with Kaiser Permanente health insurance:
- Kaiser members can call the Kaiser Flu Hotline: 1-800-573-5811 (1-800-KP-FLU-11).