Watch the video above on ways to overcome some breastfeeding obstacles.
- Engorgement is when your breasts become swollen and painful, maybe because you have missed or delayed feedings.
- Your breasts feel “hard as rocks” and your baby may not be able to latch very well.
- Some tips for quick relief:
- Before breastfeeding, take a warm shower or apply a warm compress
- Before or during breastfeeding, gently massage your breasts toward the nipple
- After feeding, put ice packs on your breasts for 20 minutes to help reduce swelling
- Don’t offer formula supplements, skip or stop breastfeeding. This will only make the engorgement worse.