Making More Milk
How to Increase Your Milk Supply
- Hand expression and skin-to-skin
- Giving your baby every opportunity to suckle at your breast
The more you breastfeed your baby, the more milk you make.
- Newborn babies have small stomachs, about the size of their fist, so they don’t eat much at one time.
- After a few days, you will start to make larger amounts of milk.
- After the first few days, your breasts will feel full and firm. Then after a few weeks, your breasts will start to feel softer and not as full. This is normal; your milk supply is adjusting to your baby’s needs. Your milk has NOT gone away.
- Using formula, even a small amount, will reduce the amount of milk you make.
- Delay pacifier use until one month of age to ensure breastfeeding is going well.