Order a Death Certificate
VITAL REGISTRATION OFFICE IS CLOSED
- In response to the Order of the Health Officer of the County, our office will be closed to the public until further notice.
- We will NOT be accepting any orders for birth or death certificates in person. There will NOT be any exceptions until the Order is lifted.
- Customers may place orders via postal mail or online via www.vitalchek.com.
- Please visit our website for an application: cchealth.org/vital-registration.
- For info about Out of Hospital/home birth registration please call 925-313-1125.
- For info about Medical Marijuana ID Cards please call 925-313-1126.
The Contra Costa County Vital Registration Office is able to provide certified copies for deaths occurring this year and last year in Contra Costa County. Deaths that occurred prior to that may be obtained from the Clerk-Recorders Office at 925-335-7900 or www.ccclerkrec.us.
Pursuant to California Health and Safety Code Section 103526 only specific individuals are permitted to obtain an authorized certified copy of a death record.
Death Certificate is $25.00 per copy.
The fee for any search of death certificates shall be paid in advance by the applicant regardless of whether the certificate is found or not. A certified copy fee must accompany all requests for copies of Vital Registration. Requests received without the appropriate fee will be returned to the sender. Make your personal check, postal or bank money order payable to Vital Registration. Do not send cash. If no record is found, we will issue a Certificate of No Public Record and retain the fee for the search according to State law.