Order a Death Certificate
VITAL REGISTRATION OFFICE IS CLOSEDIn response to the Order of the Health Officer of the County, our office will be closed to the public until further notice.
We will NOT be accepting any orders for birth or death certificates in person. There will NOT be any exceptions until the Order is lifted.
- Customers may place orders via postal mail or online via www.vitalchek.com
- Please visit our website for an application: cchealth.org/vital-registration
- Out of hospital/home birth appointments will be suspended until the Shelter in Place Order is lifted.
- Medical Marijuana ID Card appointments will be suspended until the Shelter in Place Order is lifted.
- Walk in burial permits will be suspended until the Shelter in Place order is lifted.
The following processes will continue:
- Online registration of Birth and Death Certificates & issuing Disposition Permits.
- Faxing unlock requests.
- Vitalchek orders for certified copies, permit payments & transit letters can be submitted online or via postal mail and will be mailed to you.
- Walk-in permits can be submitted via postal mail and will be mailed back to you.
Stay healthy & take care! For additional questions regarding COVID-19 go to cchealth.org/coronavirus
The Contra Costa County Vital Registration Office is able to provide certified copies for deaths occurring this year and last year in Contra Costa County. Deaths that occurred prior to that may be obtained from the Clerk-Recorders Office at 925-335-7900 or www.ccclerkrec.us.
Pursuant to California Health and Safety Code Section 103526 only specific individuals are permitted to obtain an authorized certified copy of a death record.
Death Certificate is $25.00 per copy.
The fee for any search of death certificates shall be paid in advance by the applicant regardless of whether the certificate is found or not. A certified copy fee must accompany all requests for copies of Vital Registration. Requests received without the appropriate fee will be returned to the sender. Make your personal check, postal or bank money order payable to Vital Registration. Do not send cash. If no record is found, we will issue a Certificate of No Public Record and retain the fee for the search according to State law.