skip to content, health centers and clinics, search, accessibility statement
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Services
  • Health Coverage
  • Connect with CCHS: 

Adoptions or Changes in Paternity

If you would like information on how to add or change the father/parent's name on a birth certificate or how to obtain a new birth certificate after an adoption, please select from the items below.

Type of Request

Paternity Opportunity Program (POP)

For unmarried parents, a birth certificate DOES NOT establish legal paternity. A birth certificate can be used to establish the identity of the person named on it—but for children of unmarried parents, it is not the document that legally establishes who a child's father is.

It's easy to establish legal paternity without going to court—and it's free. Both parents must agree to bring valid government issued id and come in to sign the Declaration of Paternity form. Call 925-313-1125 to schedule an appointment.

For information regarding POP, please contact the Child Support Services website at, and select the POP link.