VITAL REGISTRATION OFFICE IS CLOSEDIn response to the Order of the Health Officer of the County, our office will be closed to the public until further notice.
We will NOT be accepting any orders for birth or death certificates in person. There will NOT be any exceptions until the Order is lifted.
- Customers may place orders via postal mail or online via www.vitalchek.com
- Please visit our website for an application: cchealth.org/vital-registration
- Out of hospital/home birth appointments will be suspended until the Shelter in Place Order is lifted.
- Medical Marijuana ID Card appointments will be suspended until the Shelter in Place Order is lifted.
- Walk in burial permits will be suspended until the Shelter in Place order is lifted.
The following processes will continue:
- Online registration of Birth and Death Certificates & issuing Disposition Permits.
- Faxing unlock requests.
- Vitalchek orders for certified copies, permit payments & transit letters can be submitted online or via postal mail and will be mailed to you.
- Walk-in permits can be submitted via postal mail and will be mailed back to you.
Stay healthy & take care! For additional questions regarding COVID-19 go to cchealth.org/coronavirus
The main function of the Vital Registration unit is to register all births and deaths that occur within Contra Costa County. Certified copies are available for purchase after the document has been registered. They are kept on file with this office during the year of the event and the following year.
For births and deaths prior to last year, contact the Contra Costa Clerk-Recorders Office at 925-335-7900.
10 Douglas Drive
Martinez, CA 94553
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on 4th Tuesday of each month.
Still Birth Certificate — $32.00
Birth Certificate — $32.00
Death Certificate — $25.00
Fetal Death Certificate — $22.00
Disposition Permit — $12.00
The Vital Registration unit is also responsible for:
- Issuing permits to morticians for the disposition of human remains
- Registering Out-of-Hospital births (with proper documentation)
- Providing assistance and amendments to amend/correct a vital record
- Witnessing signatures and providing assistance with Declaration of Paternity forms
- Developing, producing and distributing analytical public health data
- Providing certified copies of death and birth certificates for events occurring this year and last year.
- Facilitate the Medical Marijuana ID Card Program for Contra Costa residents
- Most Popular Baby Names in Contra Costa
- Funeral Information
- California Cemetery & Funeral Bureau
- California Funeral Directors Association
- Uses of Birth and Death Certificates
- Notary Statement
- State Office of Vital Registration
- California Directory for all counties
- Contra Costa Public Health Department
- Contra Costa County - all departments
- California Courts
- Social Security Administration
- Veterans Administration
- Passport Office