Health Indicators and Environmental Factors Related to Obesity for Antioch, Bay Point, and Pittsburg (May 2013)
Reducing Health Disparities
Health Disparities in Contra Costa
Planning Communities: What Health Has to Do With It by Nancy Baer and Tracey Rattray
Frameworks for Public Health
The New Spectrum of Prevention: A Model for Public Health Practice by Tracey Rattray, Wendel Brunner and Julie Freestone
- The Spectrum of Prevention is a framework for health departments and community agencies to conceptualize, implement, and coordinate a wide variety of public health programs. This article describes the seven strategies in the Spectrum of Prevention and explains why the Spectrum is particularly appropriate for planning and coordinating programs that address complex community health issues.
- Case studies of the Spectrum of Prevention in action
- video: Spectrum of Prevention (19:00)
Community Engagement in Public Health by Mary Anne Morgan and Jennifer Lifshay
- The Ladder of Community Participation illustrates a range of approaches that can be used to engage communities around both traditional and emerging public health issues.
Preventing Chronic Disease: A Guide For Local Health Departments
- Chronic disease has replaced infectious disease as the leading killer in the US, and is the major contributor to health disparities. This comprehensive guidebook and set of tools is based on the work of Contra Costa Health Services, Public Health Division in developing community-based approaches to chronic disease prevention.
Chronic Disease Prevention: A Framework for Contra Costa County
Health Departments and Communities Mobilize to Prevent Chronic Disease: A Case Study from Contra Costa Health Services by Mary Anne Morgan
- This case study describes how the health department shifted its traditional role, and began collaborating with different segments of the community to redefine and address chronic disease in a more community-relevant, comprehensive and coordinated manner.
Contra Costa County Tackles Chronic Disease by Yvette Leung, Mary Anne Morgan and Daniel C. Smith
Engaging and Mobilizing Communities
Photovoice: Giving Local Health Departments a New Perspective on Community Health Issues Cheri Pies, MSW, DrPH, Padmini Parthasarathy, MPH
Healthy Neighborhoods Project: A Guide for Community Building and Mobilizing Around Health
- This guidebook presents a strategy and tools that health departments and other agencies can use for improving community health. It describes the asset-based, community building model of the Healthy Neighborhoods Project and how it has been implemented in our county.
"Maintaining Effective Community Coalitions" by Chuck McKetney and Julie Freestone
Community-Based Public Health: A Model for Local Success by Wendel Brunner
Youth, Maternal and Child Health
Youth Power Curriculum
- This Guide is a resource for teaching high-school aged youth about activism, leadership, and community organizing.
Intensive Home Visiting Programs: Implications for California Counties by Wendel Brunner and Cheri Pies
Environmental Justice Framework for Contra Costa Health Services
- Environmental Justice case studies
Pesticides in Contra Costa County by the Public and Environmental Health Advisory Board (PEHAB) of Contra Costa
Contra Costa Violence Prevention Plans and Frameworks
- In framing violence as a public health issue, we take it beyond law enforcement, and consider the environmental and social factors that cause violence. If violence is a public health issue, then it must be preventable. However, there are no easy solutions.
Health Emergency Preparedness
Pandemic Flu: School Action Kit
- Local county health and school officials have created a pandemic flu tool kit for schools to help prepare for a community outbreak.
Pandemic Flu Kit for Child Care Providers | Español
video: Disaster Service Workers (12:16)