skip to content, health centers and clinics, search, accessibility statement
CCHS
  • Home
  • Topics
  • Services
  • Health Coverage
  • Connect with CCHS: 

Press Release

Contra Costa Health Confirms COVID-19 Outbreak in a Senior Facility


Friday, April 3, 2020


At least 27 people who live or work at a skilled nursing facility in Orinda have tested positive for COVID-19, Contra Costa Health Services (CCHS) confirmed today.

No deaths have been reported in connection with the outbreak as of Friday morning.

"Public Health has prepared for the possibility of outbreaks happening in skilled nursing facilities and other congregate care settings, and we have provided clear guidance for facilities in responding and controlling the spread of illness," Contra Costa Public Health Director Dan Peddycord said. "We are working closely with the facilities now to protect residents and staff."

CCHS began investigating this week after two staff members working at Orinda Care Center sought medical care. Positive test results for those workers as well as two patients at the facility returned positive late Wednesday.

CCHS tested all patients and staff Thursday. While results continue to return, 24 residents and three staff members have tested positive so far. Two residents who tested positive are receiving care at local hospitals.

Most of the infections at the facility were discovered through the Public Health investigation. Staff and residents who do not have serious symptoms are medically isolated but not hospitalized.

Orinda Care Center is a skilled nursing facility with 45 residents. The facility is following all health recommendations to prevent further spread of the virus.

Public Health is also now in the early stages of investigating and testing at two other senior care facilities in the county.

"The situation is very serious, and we are deeply concerned about residents of our senior care facilities in Contra Costa County," said Dr. Chris Farnitano, Contra Costa County health officer. "That is why we need everyone to follow the stay-at-home order, social distancing guidance and other measures in recent health orders – to protect the people in our community who are vulnerable to severe illness from COVID-19."

CCHS did confirm two more coronavirus-related deaths of county residents on Friday unrelated to this outbreak. There have been five confirmed deaths in Contra Costa and more than 300 confirmed cases of COVID-19 infection.

Visit cchealth.org/coronavirus for up-to-date information about COVID-19 in Contra Costa County

# # #

CONTACT
  • Contra Costa Health Services Joint Information Center,
    925-608-5463