Free Tax Preparation for Low to Moderate-Income Residents Begins
January 19, 2007
An annual free tax preparation program helping hard-working, low to moderate-income residents file their taxes and claim refunds officially kicks off February 1, 2007 "National EITC Day (Earned Income Tax Credit)" and runs though April 14 in Contra Costa.
The fourth annual Earn It! Keep It! Save It! (EIKISI) Contra Costa Campaign assists qualifying families and individuals claim refunds owed to them, such as federal Earned Income Tax and Child Care credits. Last year, EIKISI helped 1,987 families and individuals claim $2.5 million in refunds, said Campaign Manager Lloyd Madden. The average refund was $1,200.
"This money can really make a difference for hardworking families and individuals who often are struggling to make ends meet," Madden said.
Households earning $39,000 or less can receive up to $4,400 in tax refunds. Madden urges workers to participate even if they don't make enough to be required to file with the IRS. Specially trained volunteers will provide the tax services at 12 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites throughout the county. Asset management information and language interpreters will be available at some sites.
The VITA sites are at the following locations, times and dates:
- Antioch: Opportunity Junction (formerly OPTIC), 3102 Delta Fair Blvd., 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays, Jan. 27 - April 14. (Appointments only)
- Bay Point: Bay Point Works, 3105 Willow Pass Road, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, Feb. 5 - April 13. (Appointments only)
- Pittsburg: EBW Career Center, 415 Railroad Ave., 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays, Jan. 23 - April 12.
- Oakley: St. Anthony's Catholic Church, 971 O'Hara Ave., 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays, Feb. 3 - April 14.
- Brentwood: EBW Career Center, 281 Pine St., 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays, Feb. 3 - April 4. 9 a.m. to noon Saturdays (Feb. 10, March 3 and 31).
- Concord: Independent Living Resource, 3200 Clayton Road, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m. Saturdays, 5 - 8 p.m. Wednesdays, Feb. 3 - April 14; Catholic Charities Family Service Center, 3540 Chestnut Ave., 4 - 8 p.m. Mondays, Thursdays, Feb.5-April 12; EBW Career Center, 4071 Port Chicago Hwy, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. Saturdays, Feb. 3 - April 14.
- Richmond: Community Housing Development Corp. of N. Richmond, Senior Community Room, 1555 Third St., 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturdays, Jan. 27 - April 14; Police Activities League, 2200 Macdonald Ave., 10 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, Feb. 5 - April 14 (Appts only); Pullman Point Community Room, 2989 Pullman Ave., 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays, Jan. 30 - April 12 (Appts only).
- San Pablo: San Pablo EBW Career Center, 2300 El Portal Drive, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesdays, Fridays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturdays, Feb. 3 - April 14.
EIKISI is sponsored by the Family Economic Security Partnership (FESP), a public, private and nonprofit collaboration including Contra Costa Employment and Human Services Department, Contra Costa Health Services, United Way of the Bay Area, First Five Contra Costa, IRS, and East Bay Community Foundation.
For more information on EIKISI or what documents people need to bring, call 800-358-8832.
# # #
- Lloyd Madden