Join Our Dynamic Team of Volunteers Today!
One of the most important sources of energy and support in our hospital and clinics is our team of awesome volunteers. They offer their time, energy, and smiles. to our patients, visitors, and staff. Volunteers enhance the quality of health care while adding to the quality of their lives. The personal rewards are immeasurable.
There are a variety of opportunities available depending on your interests and schedule. If so, there may be a place for you as a volunteer at Contra Costa Regional Medical Center and Health Centers.
CCRMC has a dynamic volunteer program comprised of more than 200 volunteers ranging from age 16 to over 90 years of age. Our dedicated volunteers serve in more than 20 areas of the hospital, some directly with patients and visitors, and others in support areas.
Contra Costa Regional Medical Center and Health Centers, volunteer team members provide critical assistance in our mission to nurture, advance and protect the health and well-being our community. To fully immerse our volunteers into teams that care for our patients and support the hospitals and clinics work we ask that all volunteers meet our standards. We greatly appreciate your desire to assist us support a safe and healthy environment for all patients, families, associates, and volunteers.
- Volunteers must be at least 16 years old at the time of completing the application. No exceptions.
- Volunteers must be able to commit to a regularly scheduled shift once a week. Most shifts run 4 hours.
- Volunteers must dedicate a minimum of 200 hours of service annually, which is at least one, four-hour shift a week. This does not apply to special project and virtual volunteers.
- Volunteers must abide by all patient confidentiality guidelines, customer service expectations, and hospital polices. The safety and protection of our community are our number one priority.
- Volunteers must adhere to dress code policy – full length white, tan/khaki, black pants, volunteer uniform polo (for purchase), closed toe shoes.
- Volunteers must have access to or possess an email address. The Volunteer Program department utilizes email to communicate vital information.
If your application is accepted, you will be asked to:
- Adhere to CCRMC and Health Centers incoming volunteer medical and background pre-screening requirements:
- Documentation of proof of immunizations to: Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR), COVID-19, COVID-19 booster, Flu (only during Flu season).
- Proof of a negative TB skin test in a 12-month period. If you have tested positive in the past, a chest x-ray will be required.
- Background Check: Volunteers over 18 years old will need to complete a fingerprint background check (No cost to volunteers).
Benefits of Volunteering
Research shows that volunteering improves your health in many ways - emotionally and even physically. It can also improve self-esteem, affirm personal values and aid in personal development. Volunteering helps you feel connected to your community and it is a great opportunity for socialization. In addition to these wonderful benefits, we would also like to thank you in the following ways…
"Have a drink on us". Receive free coffee, tea or soda during your hours of service. Plus, you’ll receive a discount in our cafeteria on any meal purchases.
Shop ‘til you drop. Volunteers receive a discount at our gift shop.
Free flu shot. Volunteers receive a complimentary flu shot annually.
Be our guest. Attend our Auxiliary general meetings where you can gain valuable information on the volunteer program overall and topics focusing on health, changes in healthcare, volunteerism and much more.
Letter of reference. Volunteers can receive a letter of reference upon completion of your 200 hours of service.
Examples of CCRMC Volunteer Opportunities
Outpatient Recovery (PACU): Weekdays (7:00 a.m. -7:00 p.m.)
- Make rounds to patient treatment area to determine any pending patient needs.
- Escort/transfer patients to and from the department.
- Assist medical staff with room preparation.
Clerical Positions: Weekdays (8:00 a.m-5:00 p.m.)
- Assist hospital staff with basic clerical duties (filing, data entry, mailings, stocking supplies, etc.)
- Answering telephones and directing callers to appropriate resource, if necessary
- Operating various office equipment (Computer, Copy/FAX machine, paper shredder, etc.)
Infusion Clinic: Weekdays (8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.)
- Greet patients, offer warm blankets, and assist with meal orders; assist patients with the use of iPads, assist in monitoring equipment usage, and provide one-on-one iPad tutorial assistance to patients.
Gift Shop (Weekdays 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. – Looking to Expand to Weekends –Must be 18 Years or Older)
Our lovely shop offers a variety of beautiful jewelry, handbags, clothing, baby gifts and clothing, candy, cards, and more!
- Retail position, operating a cash register, opening and closing store
- Greet customers, assist customers in selection of merchandise
- Gift-wrapping and stocking supplies
- Deliver flowers and gifts to patients' rooms
- Help sort and display merchandise
- Gift shop volunteers receive a special discount
Information & Referral Ambassadors: Daily (7:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.)
- Serve as a greeter and escort for patients, visitors and all other guests entering the hospital.
- Provide general information to patients and visitors
- Duties include transporting/escorting patients and visitors to their necessary destinations.
- Assist arriving and departing patients and visitors. This is an especially important volunteer roll in that volunteers are often someone’s first and last impression of CCRMC
Volunteer Office Assistant: Weekdays (8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)
- Volunteer assists with quarterly newsletters, mailings, answering phones and other clerical duties. Requirements: Experience in Microsoft Office and good organizational skills.
Lab Messenger: Weekdays (8:00 a.m-5:00 p.m.)
- Volunteer assists laboratory staff with errands and performing various other duties as assigned.
Spiritual Care: Daily (9:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.)
- CCRMC recognizes the spiritual component of health and the healing process. Spiritual Care volunteers minister to the whole person from a spiritual perspective, and offers practical assistance to people either experiencing crisis or in need of support, and to their families. The Spiritual Care Team seeks to serve as a faithful. empowering presence to all patients, families, and staff. If you are interested in joining the Spiritual Care Team please complete the Spiritual Care application.
Virtual Volunteers (Whatever Your Schedule Allows)
- Not convenient to come to CCRMC to volunteer? You can still contribute your time and make someone’s day by volunteering from your own home. Our virtual volunteers crochet or knit newborn baby hats and blankets for every baby born at CCRMC. Other opportunities include making surgery pillows, breast cancer pillows, hats for cancer patients, lap blankets for patients recognize by our spiritual care volunteers.
Doula Volunteers (Special Training and Application)
- Contra Costa Regional Medical Center offers a special program to provide continuous physical, emotional, and informational support to mother during the childbirth process. Our volunteer doulas are available to laboring mothers at no cost.
CCRMC Auxiliary is a volunteer-driven organization committed to providing volunteer and financial support to Contra Costa Regional Medical Center and Health Centers and the community it serves through outreach, education and fundraising.
Auxiliary members are men and women of all ages, occupations and backgrounds that have joined together to address the growing health needs of our community.
Learn more about the Auxiliary or to Obtain Membership information.
- Comfort Pillows for Surgical Patients
- Doula Program
- Gift Shop
- Layette Project
- Spiritual Care
Contra Costa Regional Medical Center
ATTN: Volunteer Coordinator
2500 Alhambra Avenue
Martinez, CA 94553 [Map & Directions]