skip to content, health centers and clinics, search, accessibility statement

How To Access PrEP & PEP in Contra Costa County

For those with health insurance coverage:

Private Medical Providers including Kaiser - Most health insurance companies cover Truvada (emtricitabine and tenofovir disoproxil fumarate, the medications used for PrEP). Medi-Cal and Medicare cover Truvada. Patients may have a copay for the medication depending on their coverage plan. Patients may be eligible for co-pay assistance programs, see below.

Contra Costa Health Services - Patients can access PrEP by asking their Primary Care Provider for a referral to a Positive Health Clinic for a PrEP assessment. The patient may have to pay a co-pay for the medication depending upon their coverage. Patients may be eligible for the co-pay assistance programs, see below.

Planned Parenthood Northern California - All eight Planned Parenthood sites in Contra Costa County administer PrEP. Planned Parenthood staff can assist patients to access PrEP at no or low cost. Patients need to make an appointment by calling the PrEP access line at 1-800-230- 7526.

Co-Pay Assistance Programs:

The Gilead Copay Program for Truvada provides people with private insurance up to $300 a month to pay their prescription co-pay, regardless of income. Individuals covered by Federal (Medicare) or State (Medi-Cal) insurance do not qualify. For more information, please call 1-811-505-6986 or visit

The Patient Advocate Foundation (PAF) Co-Pay Program will accept any insured patient with the income guideline below 400% FPL ($47,080 for a single person). PAF provides grants up to $7,500 to help with high deductibles or prescription co-pays. For more information, please call 1-866-512-3861, Option 1 or

For those without health insurance coverage:

The Gilead Medication Assistance Program for Truvada assists eligible HIV-negative uninsured adults in the United States obtain access to Truvada. Citizenship is not required, but applicants MUST show proof of residency in the United States. For more information, please call 1-800-226- 2056, choose option #2.

Resources & Handouts