Underground Storage Tanks Program
Underground Storage Tanks (USTs) in Contra Costa County are used for the storage of many substances that may be considered as hazardous. The majority of these USTs contain petroleum products. The Contra Costa Health Services Hazardous Materials Programs (CCHSHMP) is the designated local agency assigned to implement the program to protect the public health from exposure to hazardous materials stored in the USTs, including the protection of groundwater from contamination. Activities to obtain these objectives include annual inspections and the issuance of operating permits, which are also issued for UST system installation, removals, upgrades, and repairs. CCHSHMP personnel witness specified phases of the work being conducted on the UST system to ensure that the work is conforming to plans approved by the CCHSHMP.
- California Health and Safety Code Section 25280 et seq.
- California Code of Regulations Title 23, Section 2620 et seq.
- Contra Costa County Underground Storage of Hazardous Substances, Ordinance #90-122
New and Revised Regulation
The underground storage tank regulations (Title 23, Division 3, Chapter 16 of the California Code of Regulations) were recently amended and become effective October 1, 2018. The amendments to the UST regulations include adopting forms required to be used to record testing and inspection results, training of facility employees, the UST owner or operator statement of understand and compliance with the UST Regulations, and designated UST operator identification. The new forms are required to be used on or after October 1, 2018. The forms can be found in a PDF and Word-fillable format. (These forms are currently in "draft form"; however, they will be finalized on or before October 1, 2018.)
- Annual Operating Permit Fees
- Construction, Removal, Upgrade/Repair Permit Fees
- Fines and Penalties
- Hourly Rate and Service Fees
- Contra Costa County Fee Ordinance #2012/184
- 383 Active UST Facilities
- 1006 underground storage tanks
All facilities must submit 2018 CUPA packet through CERS.
Enter here for CERS instructions
- Pipe and Tank Modification/Installation Application
- UST Installation Required Submittals Checklist
- UST Closure/Removal Permit
- UST Removal Guidelines
- Credit Card Payment Form
or call 925-335-3200