EMS System Review
“CREATING A NEXT GENERATION EMS SYSTEM”
Our Goal is to collaboratively create a value added, sustainable EMS system focused on what is best for the patient. Priorities include:
- Retain a high performance, high reliability and high trust EMS system.
- Preserve Fire EMS first medical response.
- Explore alternative cost effective EMS first medical response and ambulance delivery models.
- Promote an "intelligent medical transportation system".
- Promote a culture of safety for patients and providers.
- Integrate with hospital and health care systems to improve patient outcome and well-being.
- Improve utilization of resources while identifying opportunities to reduce call processing time.
- Improve coordination of resources to reduce cost for patients, communities and the county.
- Sustain evidenced based EMS system oversight and coordination.
EMS System Review
A comprehensive review of an EMS System typically takes up to 18 months and serves to determine the goals and direction for future emergency ambulance procurement. The information and analysis by independent EMS System consultants provides the local community with the opportunity to consider recommended changes to position the EMS system for sustainable success.
Process Participants: The system review process included all county Fire Districts, LAFCO, Emergency Medical Care Committee, hospitals, ambulance providers, law enforcement, and communities served by the Contra Costa EMS System.
Independent Facilitator and EMS Industry Consultant: Fitch and Associates , a third party independent consultant, was selected to assist the county and stakeholders in the re-evaluation process and compile the report. They brought comprehensive industry experience, best practices and special analytical skills to support the review process. Fitch and Associates conducted the initial EMS Design process in 2003. Learn more about Fitch and Associates.
Dec 11, 2012 Board Order passed to direct EMS to produce report
See our Board presentation and the Board Order
Jan-Mar Expedited Review with Stakeholder Consultation Feb 12, 2013 Board Order passed to fund EMS System review scope of work
See the scope of work here
Apr 23, 2013 EMS System invitations issued Apr 24-May 10, 2013 Over 130 EMS System Stakeholder Participants Respond May 22 & June 17-24 2013 First Round Consultant-EMS System Stakeholder Interviews Jun 19 2013 EMS System Project Plan Overview Update #1 to Emergency Medical Care Committee (EMCC) Jul 29 to Aug 2 2013 Second Round Consultant-EMS Stakeholder Interviews Aug 11 2013 EMS System Project Status Report to Public Protection Committee Sep 11 2013 EMS System Project Status Update #2 to EMCC Sep 20 2013 Stakeholder Update Letter Oct 9-10 2013 Emergency Medical Care Committee Facilitated Workshops Oct 9 2013 1st EMS System Project Status Report to LAFCO Oct 22 2013 Fire Board EMS System Study update (see link) Oct 24 2013 Fitch EMS Modernization Study final stakeholder meetings and data collection completed. Data analysis process begins. Dec 3 2013 Fitch Contra Costa Fire Service Study Preliminary Report to Contra Costa Fire District (see link) Dec 10 2013 BOS approves extension of Fitch contract to April 30th 2014 to accommodate completion of EMS System Modernization Study. Dec 18, 2013 EMS System Project Status Update #3 to EMCC Dec 2013/Jan 2014 Consultant Preparation of DRAFT EMS Modernization. Feb 21, 2014 DRAFT EMS System Modernization Study Delayed. Mar 24, 2014 Draft EMS System Study Posted on Contra Costa EMS Study website (Public Comment Period Begins) Apr 9, 2014
Special EMCC Briefing on Draft Report - Location: Board of Supervisors Chambers, 651 Pine St, Martinez (also broadcast live on Contra Costa Television).
Watch the video »
May 6, 2014 Draft report presentation to Contra Costa Board of Supervisors with Public comment period closing at 5pm. May 6-May 23, 2014 Consultant preparation of final report including written responses to public comments. June 3, 2014 Final report presentation to Contra Costa Board of Supervisors with Public hearing and acceptance.
Additional work will occur pending Board direction
EMS System Design Documents
- Learn about EMS System Best Practices
- See the Aug 2009 LAFCO Municipal Service Review of Fire-EMS Services
- Learn about our commitment to preserve fire first medical response
- See our current ambulance ordinance in review
- Learn how critical access hospitals in our county face special challenges
- Measure H or CSA-EM1 LAFCO Application July 1989