Contra Costa STEMI System
ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction (STEMI) Program
To decrease mortality and morbidity by facilitating rapid intervention and optimal treatment of 911 patients with ST elevation myocardial infarction (STEMI).
The STEMI program consists of a collaborative network of STEMI Receiving Centers (SRCs) and Prehospital Providers who work in concert to rapidly triage STEMI patients to STEMI Receiving Centers.
The Prehospital 12-lead ECG is a key component to the early diagnosis and ongoing definitive treatment of patients with myocardial infarction (MI). In all cases, the health and well being of the patient is the overriding consideration in determining patient destination. Factors to be considered include: transport time and request by the patient, family, guardian or physician.
Elevation Myocardian Infarction (STEMI): An acute MI that generates ST-segment elevation on the prehospital 12-lead ECG.
STEMI Receiving Center (SRC): A hospital designated by Contra Costa County EMS with cardiac capabilities, (cardiac catheterization, laboratory and/or cardiovascular surgery), designed to provide rapid intervention for STEMI patients.
STEMI Receiving Centers
A STEMI Receiving Center (SRC) is a hospital designated by Contra Costa County EMS with cardiac capabilities, (cardiac catheterization, laboratory and/or cardiovascular surgery), designed to provide rapid intervention for STEMI patients.
The following hospitals have been designated as STEMI Centers in the Contra Costa County EMS STEMI System:
- John Muir Medical Center — Walnut Creek
- John Muir Medical Center — Concord
- Kaiser - Walnut Creek
- San Ramon Regional Medical Center
- Sutter Delta Medical Center - Antioch
- Valley Care Medical Center Pleasanton
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Summit Campus, Oakland
- Kaiser - Vallejo
Know the Signs of Heart Attack
If someone experiences:
- Chest discomfort
- Arm, back, neck or jaw pain
- Shortness of breath
- Sweating, nausea, light headedness
Our STEMI program is guided by these policies:
- STEMI Triage and Destination (Policy #4009)
- CT/STEMI Diversion (Policy #5002)
- STEMI Receiving Center Designation (Policy #5003)
- I01 - STEMI Transfer Treatment Guideline
STEMI Program Medical Oversight:Senai Kidane, MD
EMS Medical Director
STEMI Program Project Manager:Maria Fairbanks, RN, CEN
Prehospital Care Coordinator