Contra Costa Environmental Health(CCEH) is responsible for administering the State's Medical Waste Management Program for Contra Costa County. CCEH is the local enforcement and regulatory agency for Medical Waste Generators. This includes issuing permits and registering generators of medical waste, responding to complaints of abandoned medical waste on public property, and implementing the Medical Waste Management Act (Part 14, C. 1-11 of the California Health and Safety Code). Services include conducting required inspections, complaint investigations, in-service training, and consultation to all generators of medical waste. Services are available to the medical community and private citizens. For additional information, contact the Medical Waste Program representative at 925-692-2500.
See our complete fee schedule.
All medical waste generators that are new, changing ownership, or moving locations must submit a Medical Waste Program Application. All applicants are required to submit a medical waste management plan, except existing permitted generators only changing billing information.
Medical Waste Management Plan
General Information and Handouts
- Medical Waste Management Act
- Medical Waste Facility Inspection Report
- Medical Waste Brochure
- Isolyser Memo
Laws and Regulations
- TITLE 14
- TITLE 27
- Health & Safety Code
- California Public Resources Code
- County Solid Waste Ordinance
Frequently Asked Questions
Home Generated Medical Waste
For more information on home-generated medical waste, visit:
- Sharps and Medication Disposal Directory
- Home Generated Sharps Recycling
- Home Generated Pharmaceutical Sharps Recycling
- Medical Sharps Collection Program at Mount View Sanitary District
- Contra Costa Waste Reduction and Recycling