Community Oral Health Program
The Community Oral Health Program (COHP) works in collaboration with schools and community partners to increase access to oral health services by linking children, youth and families to no or low-cost dental resources. This program includes both the Children's Oral Health Program and the Local Community Health Improvement Plan. The Children's Oral Health Program began its efforts to improve the health of Contra Costa County children and youth in 1977. More recently, COHP has expanded its role to include understanding, assessing and working collaboratively with community partners to impact Contra Costa County's oral health system – developing a comprehensive community health improvement plan.
For more details on each component, please click on the tabs below.
Children's Oral Health Program
The Children's Oral Health Program works with local schools to provide preventive oral health services:
- Education: Children learn the proper way to brush their teeth, how to prevent cavities, and how good nutrition helps keep their teeth healthy. All children receive free toothbrushes.
- Screenings: Licensed dental professionals perform visual screenings to check the health of children's mouths.
- Sealants: Children in grades 2-6 are screened to determine if they need dental sealants on their permanent molars. Sealants are a thin, plastic coating. They help reduce the risk of developing cavities, in the chewing surface of molars.
- Varnish: All students who return a consent form will get a fluoride varnish application.
- Kindergarten: The Program offers assistance to schools to help fulfill State law, AB1433, which requires that children entering public schools for the first time, in kindergarten, must have a dental check-up.
Community Collaboratives & Events
- We provide preventive oral health services to youth at juvenile detention facilities and at the Calli House Youth Shelter.
- Our Program participates in a variety of community outreach events in collaboration with our partners such as First 5 Resource Centers, Head Start, Ronald McDonald Care Mobile Collaborative, Loma Vista Dental Assisting Program, Diablo Valley College Dental Hygiene Program and the Contra Costa Dental Society.
Local Oral Health Program
Contra Costa is developing a community health improvement plan, as well as an oral health systems map of the county that identifies oral health resources and gaps. CCHS leaders and community stakeholders have identified seven oral health priorities for Contra Costa.
- California Oral Health Plan
- Collaborative Calendar
- Community Health Indicators
- Community Partners list
- Executive Summary
- John Muir Needs Assessment
- Family Maternal & Child Health Website
- Needs Assessment
- Systems Map
- Vision, Mission and Guidelines
Dental Clinics in Contra Costa County
Medi-Cal Dental Providers
- Brighter Beginnings
- Contra Costa Dental Society
- DVC Community Dental Clinic
- La Clinica Monument
- La Clinica Pittsburg
- Lifelong Dental Care
- Mobile Dental Clinic John Muir
National Professional Associations
General Oral Health Information
- Quick Bites
- Ronald McDonald House Charities — Ronald McDonald Care Mobile
- California School Health Alliance
- National Maternal and Child Oral Health Resource Center
- Children's Dental Health Project
COVID-19 Dental Resources
Additional Dental Resources
- What You Should Know About Returning to the Dentist during COVID-19↗
- DHCS Free Medi-Nurse Advise Call Line↗
- Dental Clinics and Enrollment Information
- Find a Medi-Cal Dentist↗
- Covered Medi-Cal Dental Services↗
- Dental Appointments and Coronavirus↗
- Common Dental Emergencies Questions↗
Resources for Dental Healthcare Providers
- CDPH Interim Protocol for Preventive Dental Care in Public Health Settings: Reducing Aerosols and Educating Patients↗
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Guidance on Resuming Preventive Dental Care↗
- California Dental Association (CDA) Updates and Practice Resources↗
- American Dental Association (ADA) Return to Work Toolkit↗
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) Guidance for Dental Settings↗
- American Dental Hygienists' (ADHA) Resources↗
- Fit Testing Trainers↗
- Additional N95 Training↗
Community Oral Health Program
597 Center Avenue, Suite 365
Martinez, CA 94553
Maria Ortiz-Padilla, Program Manager