Affordable Care Act (ACA)
and Contra Costa Residents
As the county health system, Contra Costa Health Services is committed to ensuring the residents of Contra Costa are informed about what the Affordable Care Act (ACA) offers. The ACA, also known as Health Care Reform or Obamacare, means more people will have access to affordable health insurance. In addition, all new health plans are being required to provide preventive services like mammograms and immunizations without charging a deductible, co-pay or coinsurance.
Key facts you should know about getting health coverage through the Affordable Care Act:
- If you are low-income, you may qualify for expanded Medi-Cal coverage and not have co-payments or monthly premiums.
- More people will qualify for Medi-Cal through the Medi-Cal expansion, including single adults without children.
- If you are not low-income, you may still qualify for financial help from the government to buy health insurance and you should expect to pay at least a part of your healthcare coverage. Use Covered California's online calculator to calculate your cost.
- You and/or your family members cannot be denied coverage due to any pre-existing conditions.
- Open Enrollment starts in October and you will be able to enroll in the plan of your choice over the phone at 1-888-975-1142 or online at www.coveredca.com
See our Frequently Asked Questions for more detailed information.
- About the Law
- Employment and Human Services Department
- Covered California: 1-888-975-1142
- Medi-Cal: 1-800-709-8348
- CCHS Financial Counselors: 1-800-771-4270
- Contra Costa Health Plan: 800-771-4270
- get covered | Spanish
- HealthCare.gov | Spanish
- Kaiser Permanente
- California Association of Health Plans
- Enrollment Event Video
- Video Donde Recibir Asistencia
- White House White Board: What ObamaCare Means For You (YouTube)
- Kaiser Family Foundation Animated Series | Spanish
- Applying for Medi-Cal (English/Spanish)