The main function of the Vital Registration unit is to register all births and deaths that occur within Contra Costa County. Certified copies are available for purchase after the document has been registered. They are kept on file with this office during the year of the event and the following year.
For births and deaths prior to last year, contact the Contra Costa Clerk-Recorders Office at 925-335-7900.
10 Douglas Drive
Martinez, CA 94553
Hours of Operation
Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–4 p.m.
EDRS/Funerary Agent Hours: Monday–Friday 8:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m.
Still Birth Certificate — $26.00
Birth Certificate — $26.00
Death Certificate — $19.00
Fetal Death Certificate — $16.00
Disposition Permit — $11.00
The Vital Registration unit is also responsible for:
- Issuing permits to morticians for the disposition of human remains
- Registering Out-of-Hospital births (with proper documentation)
- Providing assistance and amendments to amend/correct a vital record
- Witnessing signatures and providing assistance with Declaration of Paternity forms
- Developing, producing and distributing analytical public health data
- Providing certified copies of death and birth certificates for events occurring this year and last year.
- Funeral Information (PDF)
- Uses of Birth and Death Certificates (PDF)
- Notary Statement (PDF)
- State Office of Vital Registration
- Contra Costa Public Health Department
- Contra Costa County - all departments
- California Courts
- Social Security Administration
- Veterans Administration
- Passport Office
- California Funeral Directors Association
- California Directory for all counties