May is Physical Activity and Sports Month
A sedentary lifestyle is a major risk factor across the spectrum of preventable diseases that lower the quality of life and kill Americans. Poor diet and physical inactivity (combined) are rapidly approaching tobacco as the leading cause of preventable death in the US. But there are many easy ways to incorporate physical activity into your daily life.
What are the benefits of doing physical activity?
- Makes you look and feel great.
- Helps you maintain a healthy body weight.
- Gives you more energy.
- Reduces stress and helps you relax.
- Improves your overall health.
- It's a great way to have fun with family and friends.
How often should I do physical activity?
- Health experts recommend a minimum of 30 minutes of moderate physical activity every day for adults and 60 minutes for children.
- Divide your daily routine into several 10 to 15 minute physical activity breaks and gradually increase the time as you become more active.
How can I do more physical activity?
- You don't need to join a gym to be physically active. Just include a variety of fund and low-cost activities in your daily routine at work and home.
- Do activities that energize your heart and lungs, increase your strength, and improve your body's flexibility.
- At home - walk, bike or jog with a friend or family member; play at the park with your children; plant a fruit and vegetable garden; Do push ups, sit ups, weight lifting, or use tension bands.
- At work - walk with a friend during your break; use the stairs instead of the elevator; get active during lunch; ride your bike or walk to work.