Point of Care Ultrasound (POCUS) at Contra Costa
Dr. Neil Jayasekera teaching point-of-care ultrasound to Malawian clinicians.
Contra Costa Ultrasound Courses 2017
January 21st and 22nd 2017
June 24th and June 25th 2017
See more information.
To promote the use of POCUS in family medicine by training family physicians with basic POCUS skills to provide quality, timely, patient centered and cost effective care.
POCUS has rapidly established itself as the standard of care in many areas of medicine, and is especially well-suited for physicians who work in under-resourced settings locally and abroad. Since 2010, the Contra Costa Family Medicine Residency program has provided 2 day POCUS training during orientation for all Contra Costa interns, and is a recognized leader in POCUS training for family physicians.
- 2-day POCUS training in June for incoming residents and Global Health fellows, including:
- Trauma/FAST exam
- 1st Trimester OB
- Rapid Ultrasound Evaluation of Shock (RUSH exam)
- Advanced applications, including ocular & intro to Muscluoskeletal
- Pathway for POCUS Credentialing during residency and fellowship
- 2-4week ultrasound elective in second or third year of residency, which includes scanning shifts in the emergency department and advanced one-on-one teaching with echo techs, ultrasound techs, cardiologists, emergency physicians and radiologists. The course includes pre/post-tests and online lectures.
- Global health fellows receive extensive training and serve as instructors in the annual POCUS training course and at other family medicine residencies and international sites.
- Contra Costa has helped establish and strengthen POCUS programs in family medicine residencies. Contra Costa instructors have taught 2-day POCUS courses at UCSF-affiliated Santa Rosa and Natividad Family Medicine residency programs, among others.
If you would like help in setting up a POCUS program or 2-day course at your residency, or would like to attend our annual POCUS course at Contra Costa, please see the resources on this page and contact the directors of the ultrasound program: Neil.Jayasekera@hsd.cccounty.us and email@example.com.