Pittsburg Family Practice Center
Pittsburg is a medium-sized city located along the Sacramento River against the foothills of Mount Diablo in east Contra Costa County. Its strong sense of community dates back to the earlier days when residents worked in coal mines and a steel mill. Today Pittsburg is a diverse and growing community and our Family Practice Center there provides vital medical services.
- Community health center dedicated to the care of the underserved
- Relocated to spacious, patient friendly facility January, 2002
- Located 16 miles from the Contra Costa Regional Medical Center
- Organized on a Family Practice model for the delivery of primary care, the clinic also provides on-site specialty clinics for referral
- Thirty percent of the Center's patients are children, twenty percent are patients over fifty, and two thirds are female
- Family physicians provide most of the care for a large prenatal population
- Approximately one third of the patients are Hispanic, one third white, and twenty percent African-American
- Common problems include diabetes, hypertension, substance abuse, HIV infection, TB and childhood anemia.
- 1:4 preceptor to resident ratio
- First year residents discuss all cases with preceptors
- Second and third year resident charts reviewed regularly
- All residents have periodic direct observations of patient encounters