Request for Application (RFA) to Serve Men who Have Sex with Men (MSM)
October 2, 2007
The Contra Costa AIDS Program is seeking applicants interested in implementing an innovative program for men who have sex with other men in Central Contra Costa County. Using the Center for Disease Control (CDC's) Social Network Recruitment Strategy for HIV Counseling, Testing and Referral, our hope is that we will identify new HIV infections early and ultimately reduce new HIV infections.
- 1 in 4 people who are HIV positive do not know that they are positive; and
- In Contra Costa, nearly 57% of all new AIDS cases in 2005 occurred at the time of the first HIV test or within the first year of the first test. In 2006, the percentage has increased to 64.5% of all new AIDS diagnoses. Of these individuals, 69% are men who have sex with other men (MSM).
The social networks strategy is based on the concept that individuals are linked together to form large social networks, and that infectious diseases often spread through these networks. The approach enlists HIV-positive and high-risk HIV negative men to serve as recruiters to link people in their networks to HIV counseling, testing and referral. The applicant will be responsible for the recruitment, coaching and documenting of the social network activities. The Contra Costa AIDS Program is available to provide the HIV Counseling and Testing Services for the recruiters' network associates using an oral rapid HIV test.
Applicants can be medical clinics/offices or Community Based Organizations with a 501(c)3 who have experience in working with or reaching men who have sex with other men. The successful applicant must be able to enter into a contract with Contra Costa Health Services. Participants cannot be charged for the service.
Up to $30,000 in funding to be used from November 1, 2007 to June 30, 2008. Applicants should submit an estimated budget detailing the program costs.
Applicants should answer the following questions on no more than 5 pages and provide an estimated budget for the services proposed. The application materials are due by 4 p.m. on October 17, 2007 to the Contra Costa AIDS Program, 597 Center Avenue, Suite 200, Martinez, CA 94553 or via email to email@example.com.
- Describe your agency background and experience in HIV/AIDS prevention or care services and working with or reaching MSMs.
- Describe your agency capacity to learn and understand new program models.
- Describe how you would prepare to implement this model during the program year.
- Describe how you would implement this program model in Central Contra Costa.
Applicants will be notified by October 26, 2007 regarding the outcome of the application process. For more information please contact Carla Goad at 925-313-6787 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
# # #