What's the Big Deal About Breakfast?
Did you know...
- breakfast can help children learn better?
- skipping breakfast changes the way our brains work?
- school breakfast programs can actually increase daily school attendance?
- children who skip breakfast are at greater risk for being overweight?
Quick and Easy Breakfast Ideas
Nutrition Edition. Contra Costa Child Care Council
- Raisin toast with peanut butter, banana, milk
- Cheese melted on whole wheat toast, pears, milk
- Banana bread, cheese, orange juice, milk
- Tuna fish sandwich, tomato juice, milk
- English muffin, fresh fruit topped with yogurt
- Bran muffin orange slices, milk
- Grilled cheese sandwich, kiwi, milk
- Homemade cheese/ham pizza, pineapple, milk
- Scrambled eggs, toast, fruit salad, milk
- Toaster waffle topped with applesauce, milk
- Egg salad pita, tangerine slices, milk
- Fruit smoothie (fruit with yogurt)
A Quick and Healthy Breakfast Smoothie
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Number of Servings: 4
Cups of Fruits and Vegetables Per Person: 1.0
2 cups orange juice
2 cups strawberries
½ cup bran cereal
1 cup low fat strawberry yogurt
½ cup chopped carrots
2 cups ice
Place all items into blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
** Diabetic exchanges are calculated based on the American Diabetes Association Exchange System. This site rounds exchanges up or down to equal whole numbers. Therefore, partial exchanges are not included