Medical Marijuana Program
Contra Costa's Medical Marijuana ID Program begins December 1, 2005
What is the Program?
California law SB 420 mandates every county to establish a Medical Marijuana ID Program to issue optional ID cards to people with serious medical conditions and their caregivers. With or without the optional ID card, people with documented serious medical conditions and their caregivers are protected from arrest for possession, transportation, deliver or cultivation of marijuana. The law requires that a physician certify that the person has a serious medical condition and that medical marijuana is appropriate for their use. The physician certification can be used in lieu of the optional ID card.
More about the law (California Department of Public Health)
Who is Eligible for Contra Costa's program
- Contra Costa residents over 18 years old and emancipated minors with court documents and
- With a serious medical condition. Diseases specified by the law are AIDS, anorexia, arthritis, cachexia, cancer, chronic pain, multiple sclerosis, glaucoma, migraines, persistent muscle spasms, seizures, epilepsy, severe nausea or any other chronic or persistant medical symptom that either substantially limits the ability of person to conduct one or more major life activities as defined
- With certification from a physician indicating that medical marijuana is appropriate for their condition or
- Caregivers whose patients meet the above three conditions
How Does the Program Work?
- Patients meeting the above conditions may call Contra Costa Health Services Public Health at 925-313-1126 for an application and to make an appointment to apply for their ID card.
- Patients bring the following to the appointment:
- Completed application
- Written statement from their physician MD or DO (Doctor of Osteopathy licensed in California) stating that the patient has a serious medical condition and that medical use of marijuana would be appropriate
- Valid government-issued photo ID
- Phone or utility bill which includes your current Contra Costa address
- Fee of $120. Applicants on Medi-Cal will be charged $60. Exact cash or money order only.
- At the appointment, a photo will be taken and the Contra Costa Health Services will send the information and photo to the California Department of Health Services.
- Following the state's verification of information, a state-issued Medical Marijuana ID card will be sent to Contra Costa Health Services and you will be notified that your card is ready to be picked up.
For more information, contact:
Contra Costa Public Health Vital Registration &
Medical Marijuana ID Card Program
10 Douglas Drive, Ste #220
Martinez, CA 94553