To balance the county budget in 2009, some difficult cuts had to be made regarding eligibility for health care coverage in Contra Costa County. As a result, adults who are not permanent legal residents are no longer eligible for coverage under the County's Basic Health Care program. In response, Contra Costa Health Services formed agreements with the nonprofit community health centers, paying them on a per visit basis for primary care services to people who are not permanent legal residents. The Board of Supervisors also allocated $1.5 million from the County's general fund reserves to continue providing primary care to persons who are not permanent legal residents through the community based health centers located throughout the geographic regions of the county. Those community clinics are La Clinica de la Raza, Brookside Community Health Center and Planned Parenthood.
Contra Costa Health Services continues to:
- Provide pregnancy care using restricted Medi-Cal funds
- Provide care to children who are not permanent legal residents under the age of 19 enrolled on the Basic Health Care Program
- Provide critical specialty care and emergency services
Permanent legal residency or U.S. citizenship is not
- Mental Health Services
- Health Care for the Homeless
- HIV/AIDS health care provided through the AIDS Program in CCHS Public Health Department
- Family Planning services through the Public Health Department in the Women's Health, Homeless and STD clinics
- Tuberculosis Treatment
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Services
Contra Costa Health Plan Advice Nurses continue to provide services to all residents of Contra Costa County, 24/7, by telephone at 877-661-6230, Option #1.
Persons in need of emergency care can be seen at any hospital emergency room.
Here is information about the changes, free or low-cost resources and medical supplies, and options for health care services.
Dr. Walker talks about the changes to BHC
Useful Phone Numbers
24-hour information in multiple languages about local health and human services. The 211 database is also searchable online
Contra Costa Health Services (CCHS) Financial Counselors 1-800-771-4270
Information on health care coverage and referrals
Contra Costa Health Plan Advice Nurse 1-877-661-6230
Answers to health-related concerns.
CCHS Health Emergency Information Line (HEIL) 1-888-959-9911
Pre-recorded public hotline with emergency health information in Spanish and English