Low Income Health Program (LIHP)
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) approved the Section 1115 Waiver, California Bridge to Health Reform, which authorizes counties in California to voluntarily operate a coverage expansion program known as the Low Income Health Program (LIHP). LIHP is a health coverage program for uninsured residents of Contra Costa County. Eligible patients must be between 19 to 64 years of age, and be a United States citizen or legal permanent resident who has resided in the U.S. continuously for 5 or more years.There are two components of the LIHP program: the Medi-Cal Coverage Expansion program (MCE) for adults whose household gross income is at or below 133% of the Federal Poverty Level, and the Health Care Coverage Initiative program (HCCI) for adults whose household gross income is between 134-200% of the Federal Poverty Level.
This program covers health care services that are provided at Contra Costa Regional Medical Center and Health Centers located throughout the county. With prior authorization, health care may be provided at La Clínica de la Raza or Brookside Community Health Center.
Who Is Eligible?
- Residents of Contra Costa who meet the following criteria:
- Household gross income must not be greater than 200% of the Federal Poverty Guideline
- Ineligible for Medi-Cal or any other health insurance (individuals eligible for MCE may have insurance)
- A U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident who has resided in the U.S. continuously for five years or longer
- Persons 19 to 64 years of age
- $0-$75 every three months
How to Apply
Call toll free within Contra Costa County 1-800-771-4270.
LIHP applicants and enrollees have the right to an Appeals process and State Fair Hearings process.
- MCE Program Highlights | Spanish
- BHC/HCI Program Hightlights | Spanish
- Patient Appeals Process and Right to a State Fair Hearing
- LIHP Brochure