skip to content, health centers and clinics, search, accessibility statement

Breaking News

Health Advisory Lifted for Pittsburg and Antioch

Last updated: 5:39 a.m. Friday, March 27, 2015

The health advisory for Pittsburg and Antioch has been lifted. The advisory was issued for people with respiratory sensitivities this morning after a chemical release at Dow Chemical in Pittsburg. Contra Costa HazMat staff are investigating the incident. More information will be posted as it becomes available.

Health Education

What is Cholesterol?

Cholesterol is a type of fat that is carried through your blood. It comes from two places. Your liver and other cells in your body make 75% of your cholesterol. The other 25% comes from the food you eat. Cholesterol is only found in animal products like meat, fish, dairy and eggs.

High cholesterol is linked to health problems such as coronary heart disease, heart attacks and stroke. The doctor can check your cholesterol with a simple blood test. When the doctor checks your test results he will look at both your "good" cholesterol (HDL) and your "bad" cholesterol (LDL).

Click on the links below to get more information about cholesterol.