Hazardous Materials Commission
- To protect and promote the health, safety, and well-being of Contra Costa residents as they are affected by hazardous materials and hazardous waste.
- To provide and promote a forum for building consensus on environmental issues affecting Contra Costa residents related to hazardous materials and hazardous waste.
- To provide recommendations to the Board of Supervisors and the Board's respective Committees and Commissions regarding policies concerning the storage, use, and management of hazardous materials and hazardous waste as they affect health, safety, and the environment, including land-use planning and economic effects.
The Hazardous Materials Commission was established in 1983 by the Contra Costa County Board of Supervisors. Its charge is to develop overall policy recommendations for hazardous materials and wastes and advise the Board, local elected officials, and county and city staff.
- HMC Committee Meeting - Cancelled - May 23, 2013
- Planning & Policy Development Committee Meeting - May 15, 2013
- Operations Committee Meeting - May 10, 2013
- HMC Committee Meeting - April 25, 2013
- Planning & Policy Development Committee Meeting - April 17, 2013
- Operations Committee Meeting - April 12, 2013
All meetings are open to the public. For information please call Michael Kent, at 925-313-6587.
Presentations Made at the Dec. 4, 2008 Forum
on Addressing the Cumulative Impacts of Pollution
- Why Consider Cumulative Impacts?
- Greg Tholen, Bay Area Air Quality Management District
- Community Air Rick Evaluation (CARE) Program
- Michaeleen Mason, Western States Petroleum Association
- The Operations Committee oversees the Commission's organizational business, provides guidance to county department programs and management, and addresses public education and communication issues.
- The Planning and Policy Development Committee provides technical assistance on the update of the land use ordinance and other long-term policy and planning issues.