Flu viruses are unpredictable and can change over time. A past flu vaccine may not protect you this year. We recommend that everyone 6 months and older get a flu vaccine each year. Some children under nine years of age may need two doses of flu vaccine at least one month apart.
For the 2014-2015 flu season, flu vaccine will provide protection against three or four flu viruses including H1N1 (swine flu). The nasal spray is preferred for children two years through nine years of age if spray vaccine is available and the child can receive it. For more information, the nasal spray vaccine information statement can be found below.
Where to Get Vaccinated
Flu vaccine will be available throughout Contra Costa County beginning in the fall. Ongoing Public Health Immunization Clinics will begin offering flu vaccine on October 13th, 2014.
To get a flu vaccine:
For the General Public:
- Check with your regular health care provider
- Ongoing Public Health Immunization Clinics
- Community clinics will also offer flu vaccine - call the clinic for details.
- Pharmacies and grocery stores will have flu vaccine available
- flushot.healthmap.org (check selected clinic for details)
For community members with the Contra Costa Health Plan (CCHP):
- Health Centers will offer walk-in flu clinics for Health Plan members beginning in mid-October, please bring your CCHP member card.
- Health Plan members who cannot come to a walk-in clinic can call 1-800-495-8885 and choose Option 1 to set up a treatment nurse appointment.
For community members with Kaiser Permanente health insurance:
- Kaiser members can call the Kaiser Flu Hotline: 1-800-573-5811 (1-800-KP-FLU-11).