Flu viruses are unpredictable and can change over time, so a past flu vaccine may not protect you this year. We recommend that everyone 6 months and older get a flu vaccine each year. Protection from vaccine can take up to two weeks to develop but lasts through the season, so we recommend getting flu vaccine early, before flu disease is in the community.
For the 2016-2017 flu season, only flu shots will be available. The nasal spray flu vaccine is not recommended this season because it may not protect as well as the shot.
Where to Get Vaccinated
The 2016-2017 flu season vaccine will be available throughout Contra Costa County beginning in the Fall of 2016. Ongoing Public Health Immunization Clinics will begin offering flu vaccine on October 3rd, 2016.
To get a flu vaccine:
For the General Public:
- Check with your regular health care provider
- Ongoing Public Health Immunization Clinics
- Community clinics will also offer flu vaccine - call the clinic for details.
- Pharmacies and grocery stores will have flu vaccine available
- flushot.healthmap.org (check selected clinic for details)
For community members with the Contra Costa Health Plan (CCHP):
- Health Centers will offer walk-in flu clinics for Health Plan members beginning in October, please bring your CCHP member card.
- Health Plan members who cannot come to a walk-in clinic can call 1-877-661-6230, choose Option 5, and ask for a flu shot appointment.
For community members with Kaiser Permanente health insurance:
- Kaiser members can call the Kaiser Flu Hotline: 1-800-573-5811 (1-800-KP-FLU-11).