Flu viruses are unpredictable and can change over time, so a past flu vaccine may not protect you this year. We recommend that everyone 6 months and older get a flu vaccine each year. Protection from vaccine can take up to two weeks to develop but lasts through the season, so we recommend getting flu vaccine early, before flu disease is in the community.
For the 2015-2016 flu season, flu vaccine will provide protection against three (trivalent vaccine) or four (quadrivalent vaccine) flu virus strains and will be available in the fall throughout Contra Costa County.
Where to Get Vaccinated
The 2015-2016 flu season vaccine will be available throughout Contra Costa County beginning in the Fall of 2015. Ongoing Public Health Immunization Clinics will begin offering flu vaccine on October 12th, 2015.
To get a flu vaccine:
For the General Public:
- Check with your regular health care provider
- Ongoing Public Health Immunization Clinics
- Community clinics will also offer flu vaccine - call the clinic for details.
- Pharmacies and grocery stores will have flu vaccine available
- flushot.healthmap.org (check selected clinic for details)
For community members with the Contra Costa Health Plan (CCHP):
- Health Centers will offer walk-in flu clinics for Health Plan members beginning in mid-October, please bring your CCHP member card.
- Health Plan members who cannot come to a walk-in clinic can call 1-877-661-6230, choose Option 5, and ask for a flu shot appointment.
For community members with Kaiser Permanente health insurance:
- Kaiser members can call the Kaiser Flu Hotline: 1-800-573-5811 (1-800-KP-FLU-11).