Flu Information for Providers
Annual influenza activity follow a winter seasonal pattern in the United States with a peak typically occurring in late December to early February. Contra Costa Public Health collects and analyzes clinical and laboratory data throughout the year in an effort to determine the timing and impact of influenza spread in the community.
For reporting cases of influenza, please contact Contra Costa Public Health Communicable Disease Programs at 925-313-6740 or fax information to 925-313-6465.
Specimens from fatal cases and hospitalized cases requiring intensive care should be saved and submitted to Contra Costa County Public Health Laboratory for additional testing. The Public Health Laboratory can be reached at 925-370-5775.
- Laboratory-confirmed influenza in fatal cases age 0-64 years; and
- Laboratory-confirmed influenza cases age 0-64 years requiring intensive care (reporting voluntary); and
- Acute respiratory outbreaks
- Routine Influenza Cases
- Severe Influenza Cases (ICU & fatal cases)
- Acute Respiratory Illness Outbreak Facility Line List - template
- Guidance & Information (CDPH)
- Antiviral Drugs (CDC)
- Clinical Description & Lab Diagnosis (CDC)
- Influenza Vaccine Recommendations (ACIP)
- Influenza Surveillance Data: California
Seasonal Flu Updates (CDC)
Physicians who need to report a suspected public health emergency should contact the Public Health division immediately at 925-313-6740; or after hours, call the sheriff's dispatch at 925-646-2441 and ask for the Health Officer On Call.