Flu viruses are unpredictable and can change over time. We recommend that everyone 6 months and older get a flu shot every year. In 2009 we saw the appearance of the H1N1 virus or swine flu. This virus caused the first influenza pandemic in more than 40 years. A flu pandemic is a global outbreak of disease caused by a new flu virus.
While not certain, it is likely that the 2009 H1N1 virus will continue to spread along with other flu viruses during the 2013-2014 flu season. This year, the flu vaccine will protect against H1N1 as well as two or three other flu viruses. Flu vaccine will be available in the fall throughout Contra Costa County at pharmacies, grocery stores, and other locations. Find out where to get vaccinated
Flu Prevention Tips
It is important for everyone to take steps to protect themselves, their families and their community.
- yourhealth: Is it a cold or the flu?
- Personal Stories of Vaccine-preventable Diseases
- A Mother's Loss (YouTube)
- Bad Case of Havin' the Flu | Audio (mp3)
- Practice What We Preach - Get Vaccinated
- I Choose to Immunize | Spanish