Flu viruses are unpredictable and can change over time. We recommend that everyone 6 months and older get a flu vaccine every year. Some people may be eligible to receive nasal spray flu vaccine.
In 2009, we saw the appearance of the H1N1 virus or swine flu. This virus caused the first influenza pandemic in more than 40 years. A flu pandemic is a global outbreak of disease caused by a new flu virus.
While not certain, it is likely that the 2009 H1N1 virus will continue to spread along with other flu viruses during the 2013-2014 flu season. This year, the flu vaccine will protect against H1N1 as well as two or three other flu viruses. Flu vaccine will be available in the fall throughout Contra Costa County at pharmacies, grocery stores, and other locations.
Find out where to get vaccinated
Flu Prevention Tips
It is important for everyone to take steps to protect themselves, their families and their community.
The best tool for prevention of flu is vaccination. Yearly influenza vaccination is recommended for everyone 6 months and older.
The best place to get vaccinated is at your regular health care provider or clinic. Find other locations in Contra Costa to get vaccinated.
Flu Vaccination Campaign
- Why Get a Flu Vaccine
- yourhealth: Is it a cold or the flu?
- Personal Stories of Vaccine-preventable Diseases
- A Mother's Loss (YouTube)
- Bad Case of Havin' the Flu | Audio (mp3)
- Practice What We Preach - Get Vaccinated
- I Choose to Immunize | Spanish
- Protect Yourself, Protect Your Family PSA (CDC) English | Spanish
- Five Minutes vs. Five Days: Stop the Spread Campaign
- Influenza (flu) Disease Webpage (CDPH)
- Seasonal Influenza (flu) Homepage (CDC)
- Increase in Flu Activity is Reported – CDPH Press Release (1/11/2013)
- Flu is on the Rise in California – CDPH Press Release (12/31/2013)
- Timely Flu Vaccination Can Spare You Holiday Headache – Press Release (11/12/2013)
- Is it the Flu or the Cold? – Healthy Outlook (2/20/2013)
- Pregnancy is a Great Time to get a Flu Shot – Healthy Outlook (11/22/2013)
- Recommendations for the Prevention and Control of Influenza – California Long-Term Care Facilities (CDPH)
- Interim Guidance for Influenza Outbreak Management in Long-Term Care Facilities (CDC)