To ensure that quality emergency medical services are available for all people in Contra Costa County and that the medical care is consistent with best practices and evidence based medicine.
Participation includes EMS Medical Director, QI Coordinator and EMS staff assigned to clinical programs and representatives of BLS provider and first responder programs, Fire Districts with ALS and BLS programs; Medical Dispatch centers; Private ALS provider and Base Hospital and Trauma Center, Receiving Hospitals and Air Ambulance Providers.
Currently Hospital, Private ALS and Dispatch QI participation is facilitated by appropriate EMS Staff who act as QI liaison.
EMS Quality Improvement Plans
Our goal is to annually evaluate and if applicable, revise/update the Contra Costa County EMS Quality Improvement Program (EQIP) written Plan. We utilize data and trending to drive updates and focus concerning annual EQIP mandates. In addition, we have made the commitment to make the system-wide EQIP written Plan available to all provider agencies by September of each year.
In order to achieve this commitment, we have developed the associated timeline and set a series of key dates and deadlines (below).
Key Dates & Details Deadline Solicit Stakeholder Feedback Jan 1 – April 30 Trending / Data Collection & Review May 1 Develop DRAFT EQIP May DRAFT EQIP Pre-Release June – July Solicit PAC Expert Analysis June – July Solicit QLC and/or MAC Feedback June – July Internal EMS Agency Review/Finalization August 1 Finalize EQIP and Develop Training Materials August 15 Release to Provider Agencies September 1 Ensure Provider Agencies Submit 2019 EQIP January 1
CQI Toolkit Resources
- Form: Acknowledgement of Quality Improvement Committee Confidentiality (PDF)
- EMS Provider Template: EMS Quality Improvement Program Policy Template (PDF)
- EMS QI Indicator Focus Areas (PDF)
- CQI and QA: What's the Difference (PDF)
- The Plan Do Check Act Cycle (PDCA) (PDF)
- Rapid Cycle Improvement within the EMS System (PDF)
- QI/QA Models (PDF)
- CQI Process Improvement & Problem-Solving Sequence (PDF)
- Planning a Change (PDF)
- Five (5) Steps of Risk Management (PDF)
- Risk Evaluation (PDF)
- Lean Six Sigma: A Primer (PDF)
- Resource Toolkit Bibliography (PDF)
EMS Event Reporting Resources
Contra Costa EMS System Oversight: Data, QI, Performance and Value
- HIPAA Local EMS Responsibility for Public Health Oversight (PDF)
- HIE Presentation (PDF)
- EMS Project Full Report (PDF)
- HIE Grant Report (PDF)
- EMSA Grant Stories (PDF)
QI Annual Reports
- Mid-Year QI Report - 2010 (PDF)
- Annual QI Report - 2008 (PDF)
- Annual QI Report - 2007 (PowerPoint)
- Quality Improvement Report Executive Sumary - January-December 2007 (PDF)
- EMS Quality Improvement Program (EQIP) Annual Report - January-December 2007 (PDF)
Contra Costa EMS
1340 Arnold Drive, Suite 126
Martinez, CA 94553
Office Hours: 8:00 am - 5:00 pm Monday through Friday