Ebola Virus Disease (EVD)
Last Updated: November 13, 2015
There is no Ebola in Contra Costa County and the risk here remains very low. (Outbreak Map)
If someone does develop Ebola in Contra Costa, Contra Costa Health Services has detailed plans in place to contain the disease and ensure the safety of all county residents.
Every hospital in our county, including our Contra Costa Regional Medical Center (CCRMC) and Health Centers, is prepared to quickly identify and isolate patients suspected to have Ebola until they can be transferred to an appropriate facility.
The California Department of Public Health has issued a risk-based quarantine order for travelers who had contact with someone known to have Ebola, including healthcare workers. That means the Public Health Division is responsible for assessing each returning traveler who arrives in Contra Costa individually to determine an appropriate plan for ensuring public safety, following CDC guidelines.
Though the risk of Ebola remains low in Contra Costa County, we know our system plays a critical role in quickly identifying and isolating any possible case. We continue to coordinate preparation and response efforts with local hospitals and the California Department of Public Health to ensure that clinicians and hospitals countywide are educated and prepared.
It is unlikely that a case of Ebola virus will occur in Contra Costa. However if a suspect case should occur, there are systems in place to ensure a quick response from Contra Costa Health Services and the medical community, and to maintain public safety.
Links & Resources
- Fact Sheet | Spanish
- Read CCHS' Director Dr. William Walker message about Preparedness and Ebola
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- CDPH Ebola Hotline: 855-421-5921
8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday
Information for Schools
- Schools Letter - Nov 3, 2014
- Schools Letter - Oct 20, 2014
- Resources for Parents, Schools, and Pediatric Healthcare Professionals - CDC
Information for Providers
- EMS Guidance on Ebola for Prehospital Personnel - Updated - Oct 31, 2014
- Contra Costa Health Alert for Outpatient Settings - Oct 17, 2014
- Contra Costa Health Alert for Providers - Oct 6, 2014
- CDC Information for Health Care Workers
- CDPH Ebola resources (including signage)
- Signage requesting patients report travel history | Spanish