Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP)
Promoting and Protecting Children's Health
The Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) Program is a preventive health program, we help children and teens stay healthy, find health problems before they become painful by working to make health care available to all children who are uninsured or under-insured. We provide FREE health check-ups to:
- Children in Head Start and State Preschool programs
- Children in Foster Care
- Children in Juvenile Hall and Probation
If your child has Medi-Cal, ask your doctor or health plan for a CHDP check-up!
Who is Eligible?
- Low income children from birth up to 19 years of age not enrolled in Medi-Cal (but eligible)
- Children with Medi-Cal from birth to 21 years of age
- Newborns born to mothers on Medi-Cal
What does a CHDP well-child check-up include?
- Health and developmental history
- Physical examination
- Nutritional assessment
- Dental evaluation & referral
- Vision and hearing testing
- Tuberculin Skin Testing
- Laboratory tests (including sickle cell, blood lead screening, urinalysis, hemoglobin/hematrocrit, pap smears, sexually transmitted infections)
- Health Education
CHDP provides health check-ups for:
- Children starting kindergarten or first grade who need a health exam to enroll in school
- Children involved in sports who need "sports physicals"
- Foster Care children
- Children with a history of perinatal problems
- Children with significant developmental disabilities
How Can a Child Obtain a CHDP Health Assessment?
- If you have health insurance, call Central Appointments at 1-800-495-8885.
- If you do not have health insurance, call CHDP at 925-313-6150.
Contact InformationContra Costa County CHDP
597 Center Avenue, Suite 280
Martinez, CA 94553-4669