It is estimated that most HIV positive people don't know they are infected.
The only way for anyone to know their HIV status is by getting an HIV test. Confidential, anonymous, low cost, and no cost testing is available.
HIV testing services are found in the following settings:
Private Doctor Testing is available through your primary healthcare provider. Talk to your doctor about getting tested for HIV.
Public Health Testing is available through the AIDS Program and STD Clinic. A $20 donation is requested but no one is turned away if unable to pay. All clients receive counseling and risk reduction information before testing and when obtaining results. Spanish speaking counselors are available at select sites.
- AIDS Program offers anonymous and confidential HIV testing. OraQuick Advance Rapid Testing is available at some locations.
- STD Clinic offers confidential testing for HIV and other STDs (sexually transmitted diseases). Call for an appointment at 800-479-9664.
Community Testing is available at community sites and through community-based organizations.
- Richmond: Native American Health Center, Richmond Native Wellness Center
Free testing is provided every Second and Fourth Friday from 1-4 pm. Call 510-232-7020.
- Concord: Rainbow Community Center
Free testing is provided every Tuesday from 4-8pm. Call 925-692-0090
- Concord: Todos Santos Plaza
Free testing is provided on the First and Third Tuesday of the month from 10-2:30 pm, look for the white Contra Costa County van . Anonymous testing if offered on the first Tuesday of the month. Call 925-313-6771.
- Antioch: 18th at A Street Next to Starbucks.
Free testing is provided every second and fourth Wednesday from 1-4 pm, look for the white Contra Costa County van. Call 925-313-6771.
- Planned Parenthood Northern California
PPNC offers anonymous and confidential testing for HIV and other sexually transmitted infections. Locally, call 925-676-0505; otherwise, call 800-230-7526 for an appointment at a clinic near you.
- Medical Providers
Individuals with health insurance can obtain a confidential HIV test from their primary care provider.
Don't know who to call? We can help. Call the AIDS Program at 925-313-6771 or toll free at 800-287-0200.