Pharmacy Syringe Sales
Non-prescription sales of syringes (NPSS) is a powerful intervention for prevention of blood borne infections (namely HIV, Hepatitis B and C) among injection drug users and their sexual partners.
California law (AB1743) permits licensed pharmacies and physicians throughout the State to sell or furnish an unlimited number of syringes without a prescription to customers over the age of 18, and allows adults to purchase and possess syringes for personal use when acquired from an authorized source. The law specifies that pharmacists, physicians and syringe exchange programs are authorized sources of nonprescription syringes for disease prevention purposes.
AB1743 removes the prior limit of 30 that had been placed on nonprescription syringe provision by pharmacies and physicians and removes the 30 syringe limit that had been place on individual purchase and possession of nonprescription syringes.
AB1743 requires the authorized NPSS sources to "counsel consumers on safe disposal" of syringes.
Non-Prescription Syringe Sales in California Fact Sheets & Resources
- Legislation and Requirements - October 2014
- Patient Information Sheet
- State Office of AIDS Resources & Information for Pharmacists
- Syringe Access information from the CDPH/ Office of AIDS
Other Resources in Contra Costa County
- Help for People with HIV
- HIV Testing
- HIV Prevention
- Substance Abuse and Treatment
- Substance Abuse and Treatment Care Card
- Alcohol and Other Drugs Treatment and Referral
- Sharps Waste Disposal Resources: